Sunday, June 22, 2008

Product Reviews: Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius One Size 2.0 Cloth Diapers After 14 Months of Use

I posted my impressions of Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius One Size 2.0 cloth diapers after two weeks of use here. However, I think that since 14 months have passed, an update is required.

Here is Ian wearing a Bum Genius One Size 2.0 diaper (taken earlier today):


If you click on my first review, you can see him in the same diaper at age 7 months. Both the Fuzzi Bunz (size medium) and the Bum Genius are holding up well. The stretchy side tabs on the Bum Genius pilled fairly soon after I got them, but it hasn't effected the function of the diaper. I've used cloth diapers almost exclusively with the exception of long trips, moving to Korea and currently when he goes to daycare (he only goes a few hours a week), because they require that he uses disposables. I use cloth wipes with my cloth diapers because clean up is easier and it is one less thing to buy.

After he started having more solid poops, I began using Imse Vimse Biodegradable Diaper liners. Most of the time, I can peel the liner out and the poop goes straight into the toilet, no dunking, swishing or spraying required. However, there are occasions that warrant that kind of attention. There are accessories like the Diaper Duck and spray hose that can make the dunking task easier, but I didn't bother with either of them. I also have a wet bag for when I change him on the go. I keep the dirty diapers in a laundry basket in the laundry room until I am ready to wash. I have 18 diapers.

If I have another baby*, I think I will get a set of Fuzzi Bunz in Size Small and use my Bum Genius One Size to supplement. I think Bum Genius might be a little bulky on the smallest setting, but I haven't tried it, so I can't say for sure. When I bought the diapers, I liked the idea of velcro on the Bum Genius better, but after use, I prefer the snaps on Fuzzi Bunz. Though, my velco is holding up fine, I think the snaps are more durable in the long run and they are also harder for the child to remove. Both the Fuzzi Bunz size mediuum and the Bum Genius One Size 2.0 have worked for Ian from age 7 months to the present age of 21 months. There is still room to grow. I'm not sure if they will last until he is out of diapers, but they should get us close.

If you go with pocket diapers like I did, they are very easy to use, but you must make an expensive initial investment. I was a little skeptical about how much money I would save, but the diapers paid for themselves long ago. In the month of March I had to buy disposables and that was painful after almost a year of not using them on a regular basis. After you've been using cloth, the perfumed, chemical-laden regular disposables become gross. Just the smell is unpleasant. It didn't bother me when I was using disposables full-time before I started cloth, but after, I really noticed it. Luckily, the commissary carries Nature Babycare diapers I also put some 7th Generation disposables in my shipment when we moved so I have decent alternatives for daycare.

If you are thinking of trying cloth diapers, check out the Diaper Pin. Read the FAQs and reviews. Choosing was really an overwhelming process, but if you read the FAQs, you can learn the lingo and the differences in what is available.

*I had another baby in March 2009. Click here for updated review.

5 comments:

Jodi said...

FuzziBunz just came out with a one size diaper! I am excited to get it for my store. Maybe you could try it with your next baby!
One size diaper:
http://www.nellsnaturalbaby.com/fuzzibunz1size/prod_78.html

Mama Seoul said...

Thanks for letting me know. I already bought size small Fuzzi Bunz for my next baby, but it is good to know to tell others about it.

Don said...

I purchased 12 One Size diapers.

I have only had them for less than 4 months. The elastic is starting to stretch and curl up at the ends. They LEAK and LEAVE MARKS where the elastic comes out of its little hole.

I contacted Fuzzi Bunz for the FREE elastic replacement that is advertised. They advertise free elastic replacement within warranty (18 months) that will be shipped to you.

Ms. Kim Walker and Ms. Karen Theriot (manager), barely bothered to respond to my correspondence. They refused to send elastic replacements. They were insulting and unprofessional.

I finally contacted Ms. Tereson (Dupuy) after almost 2 months of trying to work with Ms. Walker and Ms. Theriot. I sent her all of my previous correspondence and told her how disappointed I was in may diapers and in the customer service.

She replied that they DID NOT HAVE ANY ELASTIC REPLACEMENT lying around to even send me. She seemed to believe that my issues were "resolved". I contacted her again to say that we were still having leaks, etc and I would be willing to replace my diapers if they didn't have elastic. SHE DID NOT BOTHER TO RESPOND.

DO NOT BUY THE ONE SIZE DIAPER!

THEY LEAK, LEAVE MARKS, GAPE IN THE FRONT, AND ARE BULKY.

EVEN WORSE, FUZZI BUNZ WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR NEW PRODUCT LINE!

By the way, I had my receipt from the Fuzzi Bunz Store where I purchased these, they still refused to help me!

Good Luck!

Mama Seoul said...

Donnie, so sorry to hear you had such terrible customer service. The Fuzzi Bunz that I have are the sized Fuzzi Bunz (Small, Medium and Large) and I haven't had any problems. I did buy mine awhile ago, though, so maybe the quality has dropped. I've heard that from other people recently as well.

The one size diapers that I have are the Bum Geniuses and they are working great after 2 years of use.

Mama Seoul said...

Donnie, so sorry to hear you had such terrible customer service. The Fuzzi Bunz that I have are the sized Fuzzi Bunz (Small, Medium and Large) and I haven't had any problems. I did buy mine awhile ago, though, so maybe the quality has dropped. I've heard that from other people recently as well.

The one size diapers that I have are the Bum Geniuses and they are working great after 2 years of use.