Monday, April 30, 2007

Product Review: Fuzzi Bunz and Bum Genius One Size 2.0 Cloth Diaper Update

Yellow BumGenius 2.0 One Size

Acqua Fuzzi Bunz:

Red Fuzzi Bunz:


I've been using cloth diapers almost exclusively (except for a few leftover disposables) for two weeks. I even used them on my road trip to Columbus for The Lactivist Bash. I have 12 diapers. I think that is the minimum you need to do it full time, but it requires that you wash diapers everyday. 6-12 more would give me a little breathing room, although it hasn't been much of a burden, yet.

I like both kinds of diapers. If I buy more, I will probably buy BumGenuis 2.0 One Size instead of Fuzzi Bunz because I can use them for my next child much earlier and the aplix fasteners (velcro) make them more flexible than the snaps on the Fuzzi Bunz. That said, I think I like the Fuzzi Bunz a little bit better than the Bum Genuis, but with the cost of these types of diapers ($15+ each), I would rather have diapers that can be used throughout diapering instead of buying different sizes. The Fuzzi Bunz Mediums will probably last him until he is out of diapers. If I had been thinking about cloth diapers before he was born, I think I would have purchased the BumGenius One Size and used either disposables or prefolds until the cord fell off.

I haven't had many leaks except for overnight. Using a doubler (two inserts instead of one) has stopped the overnight leaks. Washing isn't bad either. I do an extra rinse and if there is a dirty diaper in the mix I wash twice, first with cold then with hot.
I haven't had any staining on the diapers, but I have had a little staining on the some of the inserts.

Short road trips and public outings are easy to use cloth, I have a bag that I put the dirty diapers in. You throw the bag in the wash with the diapers. You could also just use a plastic bag and throw it out. I will still use disposables for longer road trips and flights. I don't want to have to find a laundry mat on the road or deal with dirty cloth in the airport, but for one-day trips or errands, it is fine.

I like these pocket diapers because anyone (husbands) can use them without training. Some people really like prefolds and diaper covers. That is the cheapest way to cloth diaper, but you need your husband and caregivers to buy into that system. Again, maybe if I had seriously considered cloth diapering before Ian was born, I would have used diaper covers and prefolds. Although, the covers are sized and the nicer the cover, the more expensive which makes me think that I probably would have gone with pocket diapers anyway.

*Updated on June 22, 2008 after 14 months of use. Click here.

No comments: