Thursday, April 9, 2009

Product Review: JJ Cole Diaper and Wipes Pod




Gimmick or great? I wasn't sure of the answer when I bought the JJ Cole Diaper and Wipes Pod last week as an attempt to lighten my load.

A little background: I am the type of person who puts my stuff in with the diaper bag. I can quickly fill a diaper bag with everything but diapers. I bought a bigger diaper bag to accommodate two kids, but, I just filled it with my own stuff, even before Eva was born. It wasn't organized in a way that benefitted me either. But, no matter what bag I have, I realized I needed to change my strategy when it comes to what I carry.

The majority of things I do and places I go, do not require me to carry tons of diapers at once. Even if I am going to be out all day, I am not usually far from my car. The JJ Cole Diaper and Wipes Pod holds a changing mat, small wipes case (you buy separately or buy the travel pack of wipes) and a few diapers (2-4 if you really stuff). It has a handle so you can carry it easily or hang it off a stroller. It is also small enough to fit inside a diaper bag or bigger bag and it keeps the diapers from getting mashed.

The day after I bought it, my mom took Ian to a play. I couldn't go because I had a terrible headache. I just handed her the Pod and off they went. On the trip, I used the pod constantly. The changing mat isn't plush (that would be too big and defeat the purpose), but provides a barrier between your child and the floor of the car (where I changed Eva) or the baby changing stations in public restrooms (where I changed Ian).

There are other versions of this product like:

Diapees and Wipees
Patemm Pad
Diaper Clutch

The most innovative is the Patemm Pad, many of the others are basically fabric envelopes. It is interesting because you expand and contract the concept of a diaper bag and can get to the same place. I would have liked to see the Patemm Pad in person to compare to the JJ Cole Wipes Pod, but it wasn't at the store. I think it might be bigger than I want. I liked the JJ Cole version because of the small mat and attachability. Also, it was available at Babies 'R Us when I wanted to buy it.

So the question becomes, if you contract your diaper needs into a small JJ Cole Diaper and Wipes Pod, do you really need a bigger diaper bag and if so, what for? Well, I think you do need a bigger diaper bag for longer trips and to hold the Pod and messy things like sippy cups, snacks or bottles. Many are either washable or have removable, washable liners. Also, the good ones are designed to hold the bottles, cups and snacks. However, you can find non-diaper bag bags that will work for your needs if you'd like. I think I will go back to my smaller diaper bag when I go back to Korea. I am going to keep my heavy planner and extra diapers and wipes in the car or perhaps get a small purse for my things and put them and the wipes pod in a sling tote type bag. I like having my things the kids' things together because it is only one bag to remember instead of two. Easier to carry one bag instead of two. However, the exact combo is yet to be perfected. I will experiment this summer and update.

No comments: