Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Locked In!

I went into the laundry room to throw a load in and when I tried to leave, I realized that Ian had locked me in. There is a window between the kitchen and the laundry room, but it was locked and I think it only tilts anyway. After unsuccessfully trying to get Ian to unlock it for about 15 minutes, I started yelling,"Help!" and "Security!" out the window. The Koreans did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Finally, a young boy came by with his dog. He looked American so I called down,"Do you speak English?" He said,"Yes." So I told him the situation and asked him to get security up here to let me out. He went to the security people who gave him the run around and he finally talked to someone who said he couldn't help because he didn't have the key. The doors have electronic locks and can be opened by codes as well. But the security guy didn't come to me to ask the code, he just walked away from the boy. I asked the boy to get his mom, which he did. I told his mother the code and she rescued me!

I am really angry about the lack of service in this apartment complex. They should have come to try to help. My only other option was to try to break the window. I had no cell phone. Curt is out of town.

The door to the laundry room has a knob to lock it from the outside and you can open it with a key from the inside. I have no idea where the keys are. I definitely need to track those down.

I have to add that no F bombs were dropped during this incident, a difficult task I assure you.

3 comments:

Connie said...

THAT is very messed up! Is there some place to report this to? You don't want more people to be referred to this place if this is how they treat their tenants!!! Glad you are ok!

Mama Seoul said...

There are so many Americans in here already. It is hopeless. The place to report it to is full of Koreans and they don't care. I did complain to the real estate agent. If I would have had to break the window, I would have made them replace it for refusing to help. Luckily, I was rescued by a little American boy who went to get his mom.

At least in Egypt they would have done something. There would be a big crowd and they might have tried to rescue me from the outside, but they wouldn't have ignored me.

Ah, the expat joys!

It just reaffirms my decision to go home to have the baby because I will have help and support.

Connie said...

That is one thing I love about the Egyptians. In general, they are such proud hosts that EVERYBODY here seems to consider themself your personal guide and welcome wagon. You are right. You would not have been stranded here, they'd have done crazy things to get you out! Sometimes it is hard to make people understand that you really do NOT want help. My knees have been hurting, but I've been trying to walk anyway to loosen up. I was hurting bad enough the other day to reach for my cane, but thought about all the help I would have to refuse. I grabbed my walking stick instead (less medical looking). It was still different enough that I had to explain myself to everyone I knew, as well as wave off more than the average number of taxis.

Ah well, it's the thought that counts. Yes, I AM welcome in Egypt!

Sorry that the management of your place is so useless. It is too bad that they do not care how this will shape the opinions of all expats who reside there.. not only about the complex, but it will taint their opinions of Korea as well. One's home away from home is a vital part of what people think of their assignment.