Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Tag the Expat

Cairo Connie tagged me for this meme.

5) Name 5 Things You Love in Your New Country:
* The food. Korean food has a lot of spice, garlic and flavor.
*My yoga studio.
* The view of the Han River from my apartment.
* Watching Buddhist Monks walk through town.
*No tipping for most things (except on base you have to tip and the yoga studio people told me to tip the valet). It is a refreshing change from Egypt where people want tips for everything, even things you didn't ask them to do and things they didn't do well.


4) Name 4 Things You Miss from Your Native Country:
* Being able to read everything.
*Knowing where to shop. There are lots of shopping opportunities but the easiest to find are very expensive.
* Shipping by UPS and Fed Ex. Many websites have free shipping in the Continental US by UPS or Fed Ex. Does not apply to APO addresses.
*Family and friends.

3) Name 3 Things that Annoy You in Your New Country:
* Websites/brochures that are partially in English but none of the most important information is in English. I know, I know, I need to learn Korean, but the random English words gives me false hope that I will be able to read it.
*They don't use street addresses to find locations. They navigate in relation to landmarks so you can't easily find a place that you've never been before.
*It is hard to find a stylist who knows blonde: it is either yellow, white or orange. I got orange last time.

2) Name 2 Things that Surprise You (or Surprised You in the Beginning) about Your New Country:
*How modern and high tech it is. I really had no idea what to expect. People in the States don't talk about Korea or vacation in Korea (generally) unless they have relatives.
*How helpful the people are without wanting anything in return, like in the metro, someone almost always helps me get the stroller up and down the stairs.

1) Name 1 Thing that You Would Miss Terribly in Your New Country if You Had to Leave It:
*The food.

I tag Katy in Canada for this.

2 comments:

Connie said...

After all your posts about the various foods, I think I want to visit Korea just to go around sampling things!

Mama Seoul said...

The food is good, especially if you like spice!