Saturday, May 31, 2008

Cooking Success: Giada's Torta di Pasta

Giada De Laurentiis' Recipe:

8 ounces spaghetti
1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
4 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
3/4 cup grated fontina
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Drain. Toss with the sun-dried tomatoes. Set aside to cool completely otherwise the hot pasta could curdle the eggs when you add them later on.

In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper, Parmesan, and fontina to blend. Add the cooled spaghetti mixture; toss to coat.
Preheat the broiler. Melt the butter and oil in a 9 1/2-inch-diameter nonstick skillet over medium heat. Transfer the spaghetti mixture to the skillet, pressing to form an even layer. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer the skillet to the broiler. Broil until the top is golden brown, about 5 minutes. Cool in the skillet to room temperature.

Invert the torta onto a platter. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature.

I used leftover whole wheat spaghetti, roasted red peppers instead of sun dried tomatoes (none at the commissary) and leftover feta that I had in the fridge instead of fontina (again, none at the commissary).

It was a great way to use leftovers. The pasta gives a bit more substance than egg alone. This recipe is easily adapted to whatever is in your fridge. We had it for lunch, but it would be a great breakfast/brunch dish as well.

5 comments:

Connie said...

Mmmm! I have a hunk of beef thawing and was thinking that pasta would be a nice side (it makes the meal hearty enough to stretch out into leftovers - maybe - my kids seem to be going through a growth spurt and are putting some food away!) Now, I just need something green - wonder what the veggie delivery guy will surprise me with today?

Connie said...

ps. I told my husband about your recipe, and when I mentioned the substitutions, he teased that you cook like I do. He always jokes that I can't follow a recipe (without substituting something!) to save my life.

Mama Seoul said...

Well, ideally, I like to make a recipe for the first time following the it exactly, but Italian ingredients aren't easy to find here in Korea. There are some gourmet food places that I think I could get it, but that kind of defeats the purpose of using the leftovers. What would I have done with the feta?

You and I are just being efficient and adaptable!

Connie said...

I made the pasta last night - thanks for the recipe! I had the tomatoes - although I worried they'd be too strong. The feta cheese (all I had!) mellowed it. I don't have a stove-to-oven skillet, so I used a 9x9 square pan and that worked fine. Improvise!

Everybody liked it. Brian put away almost 3 pieces - and I only cut it into 9 squares! - as well as steak and green beans. Yep. Growth spurt. Honor has already grown out of many of her summer shorts, Brian seems to want to as well. I used to threaten to put arm and neck holes in pillowcases and dress them in those.. but even those are too small now.

Mama Seoul said...

Glad it turned out and that the kids liked it!