Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Shopping & FLYing

I took the metro to Apgujeong, a ritzy area with a street called Rodeo Drive. Lots of high-end stores, cafes and restaurants are in this area as well. I wandered around for hours. It seems that if the action is to the right, I go left and vice-versa, but I found things eventually. I didn't buy anything or even go inside the stores because I knew things were super expensive and I had Ian with me, but it was fun to see what is around.

I went to the Croc store in Itaewon, but the biggest size they have is an 8, too small for me so I went to the base. While at the food court (hit the food court at the PX because it is cheaper than off-post and Ian was in no mood for a dining experience since we were really late getting lunch), I ran into my neighbors and their son. It was their son's second day of pre-school and he cried all day and had several potty training accidents. He also refused to eat. While we were eating at the food court, his dad took him to the bathroom and he didn't go. As soon as they got back to the table he peed on the floor. They were supposed to meet friends for dinner so they had to go to the PX and get diapers and new pants for their son. They all had a tough day.

Ian and I went to the PX after we finished eating and I bought a pair of shoes. They are dressier than most of my shoes, but I can walk in them. The Koreans wear high heels everywhere, but I don't think I can wrangle a stroller on these hills in heels. The selection at the PX is really limited and not that cheap but I have hard to fit feet so ordering online is a big pain. I also got a new planner to replace the one I have had since 1995 or 1996. The cover is shredded. And, I bought a notebook to build my Fly Lady Control Journal.

I haven't fully implemented the system, or even done it on the slow schedule, but I have been getting dressed in the morning, making the bed, trying to keep the sink and counters clear and a few other things sporadically. Curt has been great with the system as well! The "15 Minutes" plan has really focused him. He tends to get sidetracked and usually makes a bigger mess than he starts with because he gets overwhelmed. Now, he really focuses and has gotten a lot done. Tonight, we picked up Ian's toys. It seemed like an overwhelming task, but we worked together and in about 15 minutes, it was done. We didn't use the timer, but we had the momentum going so it really worked. I decided to do the control journal because I think that in order to get the full effects of something, you have to by into it for a period of time. I do not want to think about cleaning, but if I take the time to think about cleaning in order to develop routines, my house will be cleaner and I won't have to think about it. We both do better if things are written down. It has been amazing to get up, do the morning routine, look at the clock at realize that it is only 8:30am. I am getting much more done in less time. I need to start getting up at a set time. Often, I just wait for Ian to get up. I can get a lot more done without Ian running around.

There were three bonuses today: we stayed at the PX until Curt was finished with work, so we got a ride home; the replacement shipment for the bedding and towels that were wrongly returned by the mail clerk arrived today; my sister got the call that the Texas storage shipment will be delivered to Georgia today.

4 comments:

Connie said...

Glad you got your boxes! That was relatively quick. It sounds like you, and your neighbors, had a very hectic day...some days it just seems to add and add up. Here, it was lazy and HOT - 105.8! and supposed to be hotter tomorrow.

Have you ever checked out Footsmart.com? They have a good selection of shoes - from all-out, ugly, medical-needs type footwear, to brand-name, good-looking, good quality shoes - that are good for your feet. I also recently ordered an amazing pair of "Explorer sandals" from LL Bean. My feet are very touchy. I usually do not consider sandals to be walking shoes, but I can walk all over the place in these! (Brian says that I should not wear them with frilly skirts though - picky kid!)

I wish I'd started the FLY program earlier. She's now saying things that I have been finding out the past few months, painfully, through trial and .. more trials! It seems so obvious now, but preparing things at night for the next morning - hello??! Saying "Stop! I don't have to finish now and kill myself! I can do more tomorrow"... why was that so hard?? It's a wonder I survived to figure that out! :-D !!

Mama Seoul said...

I hadn't heard of that site. Will have to check it out. Those explorer sandals definitely look comfortable, it is just the sizing that I worry about with online. Depending on the brand I am a 9, 9.5 or 10. I just bought a pair of 8.5 shoes today, because the 9's were way too big.

The FLY program IS obvious and I think that is why it works so well. Why didn't we think of that? Because we didn't want to think about it. I've heard from several people I know that do it that I didn't know about. I know there are some people that would find some of her things annoying like "Gold Breezes" and "purple puddles", but I don;t get hung up on that kind of stuff. The system is good and it works. I am so glad it is working for you, too. Keep me updated on your progress!

Connie said...

LL Bean has a great return policy - of course, returning thru APO is a pain, but they take anything back, anytime. Their sizing, in clothes and shoes, is always very consistent - for me, yea, I know how it can be!

I don't mind the fly lady's flowery speech - It's not me, but it is HER, it fits, so it belongs. I don't listen to BLOG radio though. And I am not a believer in a shiny sink (gasp!) I am a believer in a clean sink, and mine is cleaned well every day - it has to be - but I use the heck out of my sink.. brutally! I won't put the effort into polishing something that I WILL destroy in 10 minutes, but I get the idea behind it.. I think my shiny sink equivalent is actually making beds.

Mama Seoul said...

I didn't bleach my sink out, but I do try to keep it clean and sometimes I dry it out. I agree with you that it is like making the bed. Even if you don't make the bed well, it is still so much more inviting to enter a bedroom with the bed put together, than with the sheets and covers everywhere. I've never made my bed consistently until now, but I do appreciate it.

Every time you comment or I read your blog, I wish more and more that we lived in the same city. We seem to have a similar way of looking at things.

I think I am going to order some Fly Lady dish towels to support the site. I really like that they don't charge for the info and I need more dish towels.

I am trying to tackle the office area today. We don't have a desk or book shelves so it is going to be a pain, but I took before pics so hopefully I will have after pics to share tomorrow.