Friday, April 25, 2008

$6,000 Rug

The rug store at the Embassy Club was having a HUGE SALE. They have oriental carpets from Iran and Pakistan. I picked out a large, beautiful rug. It was wool and double knotted. $6,000 was "as low as he could go.". Yeah, right. It was beautiful, but I don;t know how much those things are supposed to cost, but even if it is a good price, it is too much to spend on a rug with a dog and a young child and a husband who spills coffee everywhere. We laughed when they told us the price.

3 comments:

Connie said...

I don't know. It sounds high to me, but I am probably biased because we lived in Pakistan for awhile and rugs were verrrrry inexpensive. We got a good sized (nice!) tribal rug in England for about $1000. The Turkmen rugs we got (4x6) - sleep-on soft, rich colors, for about $400 each. Good rugs actually clean well, but yea... $6000 - I'd have been laughing right with you!!

Mama Seoul said...

It wouldn't be so bad if the people that hand-loomed the rug got that money, but they don't. The rugs were 10' x 12" I think so very big, but I am not going to pay that much when I know the person who made it got a tiny fraction of that.

Connie said...

It's a very tough choice. No, they don't make much for the work; but they do work and get something, which is better than nothing... even if it isn't fair... sigh..!