Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mothering through Illness

Ian and I are both sick with colds, but I am much worse. He is not eating and wanting to nurse all the time. I am weak and wanting to be left alone. Curt is working so we are alone in the hotel room. I need to go see Roxxy at the kennel, but I don't know how far it is and am feeling to weak to venture out with Ian. I have a device to make the carseat into a stroller of sorts but the carseat is in the van that picked us up. I know I can't carry him that far and he isn't reliable about walking. I hope Curt comes back for lunch.

I have very limited patience and am struggling with that because Ian needs attention and cannot be expected to understand my situation. I hope to get better soon.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Hi Korean-Cairo Mama. An old Army buddy of mine just moved out to Japan with her family and it reminded me of your moving to Korea - glad to see you finally made it... sorry to hear that you are sick! Travel sucks. It's exhausting, the kids always seem to get hit with a different jetlag schedule than the parents, and then there are the cooties. The airplane, the airports, the new location.. cooties everywhere.. sigh..

Maybe your husband could ask around - see if any of the nanny mafia (who has no doubt been anticipating the arrival of your family!) want some part-time, try-out work? Someone to sit with Ian and play, color, watch TV while you rest? Walk with you to the kennel?

Well, as you know, this too shall pass! Hang in there!!

eriedoula said...

Ditto the very wise words "this too shall pass" and "hang in there".
Rest, and rest some more. Things will change eventually.

So glad to see you landed safely, albeit sickly.

You're so very resourceful that I know as soon as you have the energy, you'll make some contacts and start feeling that you're getting some things underway. Hang in there Karen! Hugs to you, Ian and Curt.

Mama Seoul said...

Thanks Connie and Michelle. Most of the people here are military and don't have nannies, but I did get a nanny list. I am going to join the Seoul Women's Club because then I will have access to the civilian ex-pat community to get advice on doctors, nannies, etc.

One nice thing that happened was that the Army Child Youth Services Center provided day care during the training and they were great with Ian. In fact, Ian grabbed his coat and ran after the woman who was watching him when she left and we had to stay in the building to get something else done. They have drop-in hourly care which is what I will need. Still, it would be nice to have someone (like a part-time nanny housekeeper) that I could use at night sometimes.