Saturday, March 15, 2008

Korean Department Store

We went to the iPark Mall/Department store today. It is HUGE! It is kind of like a high-tech version of the shops in Egypt. In Egypt, if you are looking for curtains, there is a section of town that has shop after shop of the same curtain material. How or why do you choose one over the other? At the department store today, there were multiple shop areas of electronics with the same overwhelming inventory. I guess you need to know what you want before you go.

We were looking for furniture. We found something we liked, but there is virtually the same thing at a vendor store on post for about half the price. Buying furniture in the States is a racket, but over here it is harder because we don't know where to go and what we are looking at. Was the store we went to equivalent to Nordstroms (the prices would say yes) or JC Pennys? Who knows? It is hard to ask people that you don't know because you don't know how to evaluate their opinion with regard to taste and pricing. Everything is relative. There is an AAFES furniture store but everything is hideous: oversized, puffy sectionals. I think we can order things into that store, but I didn't see anything inspiring on the website.

One thing I do know is that we need a bed in order to move in. We can wait on everything else. Our bed is in Egypt and held up in customs. We don't have an ETA. We need to get out of the hotel because we are gaining weight, Roxxy is in the kennel and we want to feel more grounded than a temporary hotel residence allows you to feel.

So, since we wanted to get a low-platform, king sized bed with latex mattress anyway, so here is our opportunity. We like it. It is made to American dimensions and the vendor is used to working with Americans. I think we will order it tomorrow.

Itaewon is known for antiques. I think it will be fun to look there for things like a dining table. We also need a couch, but I want to take more time with that purchase. There were lots of low, sleek leather couches/sectionals at the Korean department store. I liked them, but want to see more options.

The Department store had a swank nursing room, though, the symbol was a bottle. It had a nice sectional couch, microwave and hot and cold water dispenser. I wish I had my camera with me.

No comments: