Saturday, March 22, 2008

Furniture Shopping in Sadang-dong

We took a cab to Sadang-dong, an area we were told had lots of furniture stores, and went walking around. Some interesting patterns emerging in Korean furniture: small, unexpandable dining tables; logos displayed prominently, even on wood furniture; low, leather couches/sectionals.

We saw one small table we liked and when we asked the price, the guy had to think about it. How stupid did we look? We got him down in price, but didn't buy. The tables like best so far are the reproduction teak ones we saw the other day in Itaewon, but that set was really expensive. It is hard to buy furniture when you don't speak or read the language because you can't be sure what you are getting. Another trend in dining tables involved some kind of composite faux marble top and/or base. It looks interesting in some cases, but it isn't what I am looking for.

The logos. I hate the logos, especially on expensive furniture. Who wants a logo on a headboard or embossed in the leather of a couch? Apparently the Koreans do. It isn't on every piece, but it seems to be fairly common.

Couches. There are lots of versions or low, leather couches and sectionals. The fabric sofas and chairs I have seen were an awful raspberry color, multi-colored (brown, yellow, turquoise and pink) butterfly print, cream with pink roses with green stems, and futon-style. I was worried about the dog's nails scratching leather, but we are just going to have to be sure to keep her nails done. They all kind of blend together after awhile. We need to get into the place and take measurements.

After the help of several strangers, we bought two T-money cards which are used to pay for the metro and buses, and took the subway to Itaewon. We had dinner at a Thai restaurant called, Buddha's Belly and walked home. A navigational success on many levels. It is so frustrating not knowing how to get around.

I took a short sauna for the second day in a row here at the hotel. I think I will like having a sauna in our apartment building. I have been trying to track down the Bikram studio. I found something today that said the chain sold its Seoul locations. I guess the thing to do is head to Apgugeong on the metro and try to find it. I am also going to try the yoga on post which is free.

3 comments:

Connie said...

Your "How stupid did we look?" comment made me laugh out loud! The fool!! Little did he know that he was dealing with shoppers who have dealt with Egyptian merchants!! Oh! The folly!! :-D

I absolutely hate shopping for furniture. My father was craftsman and I see flaws waaaay too easily. Fortunately, my family has gotten used to living on the floor, as needed, when it takes me a bit to get the shopping done. Hang in there, be picky, negotiate with your hard-earned Cairene shopping powers - the locals do not stand a chance!

btw, mind if I add you to my blog roll? I enjoy reading your adventures.

Mama Seoul said...

I hate bargaining and never got good at it, but I can certainly recognize the game. I guess there is no time like the present. Many of the stores have fixed prices and do not allow bargaining but the market-type stores and antique stores do.

Seeing flaws was my big problem in Egypt because everything looks good from a distance but up close there are lots of flaws. They always said,"It's hand made!" as the explanation for the flaws. I should have gone shopping with you, I am sure you could get them to fix things!

You can add me to your blogroll. It is great to have your perspective on living abroad.

Connie said...

If I am in the mood to shop, I can bargain - and have some fun with it. If not, I just do not buy. I hate the touristy BS, and do not buy from those merchants that do not drop it after I tell them I am local. I appreciate the guys who are just trying to make a good living though. It's good when you can find someone who is flexible enough to change his lines when he can tell you are annoyed by the whole 'game'. oh, yea, and handmade is no excuse for crappy! ;-D