Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ian is One Year Old: I Don't Remember Life Without Him


My first morning home from the hospital, my mother brought me a cup of tea in a mug that said,"World's Greatest Mom", a title I clearly hadn't earned only 5 days into motherhood, but I appreciated the sentiment. Maybe it was the anesthesia or the lack of labor, but it took me a few days to get my head around the concept that this little thing was the same person keeping me company for the previous 9 months. All of sudden it hit me, that of course he was mine. How could I have had any other child? He was perfect. In that instant, I could not comprehend that there had been a time when Ian did not exist. I remember the things I did before Ian, but now in my memories, he has some sort of presence in the background, in my heart.

I love that kid. My kid. My son, Ian.

No comments: