Saturday, August 18, 2007

Flashback to North Carolina

Today, I met my friend Rudy for lunch. I haven't seen Rudy since I was in the 10th grade. We went to EE Smith High School in Fayetteville, North Carolina. He graduated from Smith and still has family in Fayetteville so he has kept track of a lot more people than I have. A lot of things came back to me while we were talking. Unfortunately, he lost touch with some of my favorite people. I was hoping to find them through him, but, no luck.

He did tell me that 1% of his graduating class was on death row by the 10-year reunion. It was 3 people out of 300 in the class. The school was really well-run and safe, but about half the students came from the nearby army base (like me) and the other half came from the poorest section of Fayetteville so I guess statistically we were bound to have people in jail. Still, 3 people on death row is shocking.

No comments: