Sunday, February 24, 2008

Countdown to Korea

The movers have come and gone. It was a lot of work to get ready, but it went smoothly. We out an offer in an a house in Georgia, but they countered so we are moving on to try to find another. The two biggest remaining issues: the dog and the car.

Roxxy has to go to get her health certificate on Monday. The paperwork must be Fed-ex'd to Harrisburg and back within 10 days of departure. She will have her sutures removed on Saturday and then we fly on Sunday. If she isn't ready to go, I will come back for her in a few months.

Curt has to drive the car to Baltimore to ship it to Korea. He will drive down Tuesday and fly back Wednesday.

There is still some paperwork that the Transportation Office needs to do to get our household goods from Egypt to Korea. I'm a little worried about it but we will just keep on them and hope they get it done before we go.

We are not going to live on the base. We have to get a bunch of real estate agents to find us a house. They compete against each other and that is how it is done there. The government doesn't provide any furniture or appliances so we are going to have to buy a lot of things.

Supposedly, there is Bikram yoga in Seoul, so I hope that I can get to it. There is an English-speaking Montessori for kids 2.5 and up but it is $10,000 a year so that won't work. Maybe there is a Korean school that is less.

4 comments:

Maria said...

Hi - did you ever find Bikram yoga in Seoul?

Mama Seoul said...

Yes. There is a lot of hot yoga in Seoul with various degrees of quality, but it is not targeted or marketed to foreigners. The foreigners are concentrated in a few areas of the city so most Koreans don't see them much.

If you search, you'll find articles about Bikram at California Fitness, but they went out of business. I have been going to Pure Yoga in Apgujeong. They have other types of yoga as well. Yoga is very expensive here (about twice what it cost in DC). For all the details, check out this post:

http://cairomama.blogspot.com/2008/05/bikram-yoga-hot-yoga-in-seoul.html

Are you in Seoul or coming soon?

Maria said...

Thanks for the updated info. I'll be out there in October then again in November on work and pleasure. You mentioned DC - I practice at the Falls Church studio and would like to check out other studios while I am on travel. I am also interested in booking my hotel room near the studio in Seoul (preferably walking distance if possible), do you know if there are any major chains nearby?

Mama Seoul said...

I used to practice at the Tenleytown studio and also Dupont Circle.

Send me an e-mail at mamaseoul@gmail.com so I have your e-mail. Apgujeong has a lot of fancy shops. I think they also have short-term furnished apartments and there must be some hotels there. I will look into it and give you some info or contact information through e-mail.