Saturday, May 31, 2008

Big Purchases Today

We bought a vacuum and an English GPS for Korea today.

Our vacuum died in Egypt before we moved. We tried to have it repaired, but they couldn't fix it. Total motor burnout. Over the years, I have purchased many cheap vacuums ($50-100) and they have all lasted a year at best. When we were looking at what kind of vacuum to get here in Korea, it seems that Miele, Sebo, Electrolux would be good bets: expensive, but built to last. Unfortunately, the PX doesn't carry those brands. It may be possible to order them through the PX, but ordering the crib that way was such a disaster and took so long that I just don't want to hassle with it. My other choice is to order and have someone forward it to us, but with the stroller I ordered in March, still not here, I don't want to do that either. That brings me to buying a Miele on the Korean economy or buying whatever is in stock at the PX. Since we don't know how long we will be in Korea, I decided that I didn't want to buy a vacuum that is built to last that was made for foreign current. Also, what about warranty issues and then there is the fact that products are often made to different specifications for different countries. Finally, it would be difficult to ensure that I had the features I want ince I don't speak or read Korean. So, we just decided to go with the PX. We bought a Hoover Wind Tunnel II for $249.99, more than the disposable vacuum cleaners and less than the Miele, Bosch, Electrolux, Sebos (which the PX didn't have). I hope this vacuum lasts at least a couple years. It has a self-cleaning HEPA filter, wood floor brush and pet hair attachment.

After lunch, if Ian doesn't go down for a nap, Curt will have to take him out of the house somewhere so I can rescue the kitchen and try out the vacuum. I need to vacuum everyday. I sweep everyday, but not all the floors and you can't tell that I do that at all! At least I will be able to cover more ground with the vacuum on a daily basis and hope that the floors look moderately clean.

As for the GPS, they had one at the PX and one advertised at one of the vendors on Post. The one at the PX was about $70 cheaper than the other, but had 2007 maps and fewer addresses (but still a lot). After going to the vendor several times to check out the other one (that is updated every 6 months) and them not having it, we decided to buy the one at the PX. Today, there was a sticker saying that the models had been loaded with the current info as of May 18, 2008 so it was good that we waited. This was an investment, I hope we are here for awhile, but mobility means a lot so I do hope we can get it to work for us. If it works, it will totally be worth it.

I am glad we thought about these purchases. We are trying to be more aware of our purchases so that we spend less, waste less and are more satisfied with our purchases. Erie has a store called Yaple's Sewing and Vacuum and I wondered how they stay in business, but now I know. I wish I had gone there and bought a vacuum before I left Erie. Just didn't think about it in time.

2 comments:

Connie said...

We have used a cheap hoover of some type (came with the embassy provided furnishings) since '04. I have to say that I really do not like using the clunky thing, but, it's like a good ol' pick up truck - it's ugly, bulky, hard to steer, etc. but it works hard and keeps on going ;-D I might consider a new, nicer model Hoover when we get a new vacuum. I'll check with you in a year and see how yours is doing!

I want a heavy-duty carpet cleaner. A good one. ALthough I hate the thought of moving around with an appliance as big as a tank. Most places we end up in have carpet, and having a good cleaner in a real luxury.

Mama Seoul said...

My mom got a carpet cleaner and uses it a lot (especially after we lived with her for 8 months). Between the dog, Ian and wear and tear, that carpet needed to be cleaned a lot. Especially in Egypt with all the sand. pollution and dust, I think you would use it enough to make it worthwhile to purchase.